Russell Stover Sugar Free Chocolates 360° Brand Development
Sales in Decline
- Management wanted to make sugar-free a better-for-you platform.
- Created sugar-free chocolate and had major competition for the first time.
- Sugar-free users felt Russell Stover packaging felt like a consolation prize, not a treat.
Stop a 3-year sales decline and secure shelf space at important retailers.
- People with better-for-you mindset eat chocolate as a managed indulgence and don’t want sugar free.
- Sucralose and other ingredients that make sugar-free chocolate taste good have bad reputation.
- Core users of sugar-free chocolate suffer from health conditions such as diabetes.
- Double-down on reputation as an original American chocolate.
- Focus on the key audiences already eating sugar-free chocolates due to dietary restriction and health concerns.
- Reformulate product replacing sucralose with Stevia, a plant-based sugar alternative with no digestive concerns.
- Emphasize small batch and handmade
Everyone deserves chocolate
- Reversed 3-Year sales decline in 12 Months.
- 33% Growth in 52 weeks.
Scope of Work
- Audits & Analysis
- Audience Insights
- Research & Insights
- Trend Analysis
- Brand Positioning
- Visual Strategy
- Packaging Design
- Branded Ecosystem
- Sales Collateral
- Photography Guidelines
- Brand Bible
“Great impact on shelf, and the new design change combined with the new recipe has buyers excited (Walmart included!).”
– Marjolaine DeClaviere, VP Marketing, Russell Stover