Loma Linda 360° Brand Development
A Dying Brand
- Fear of alienating their core (Seventh Day Adventist).
- First shelf-stable vegetarian brand but not growing.
- Primary retail channel shrunk from 2000+ locations down to 45.
- Younger SDA call Loma Linda a “nostalgic sodium bomb”.
Evolve from a one denomination brand into a health food company.
- Canned meat alternatives is not a category in grocery.
- Millennials don’t eat from cans.
- Loma Linda, California is one of the world’s 6 Blue Zones where people live the longest.
- Middle-to-low income consumers do not have vegetarian complete nutrition options available.
- Current loyalists have different expectation that wouldn’t cross over to new audiences.
- 61% Would pay more for a healthier version.
- Ensure there are sustainable sources of protein available everywhere before the food chain breaks.
- Create a platform of shelf-stable, plant-based, clean label complete nutrition.
- Partner with food science kitchen to develop complete heat and serve meal solutions.
- Develop new products for placement in different categories and be considered online by millennials.
Plant-based protein since 1890
- Growth from single retail channel to national grocery and club.
- Growth from about $5mm to $30mm.
- 10x Anticipated growth.
Scope of Work
- Audits & Analysis
- Audience Insights
- Research & Insights
- Trend Analysis
- Brand Positioning
- Product Innovation Pipeline
- Visual Strategy
- Packaging Design
- Branded Ecosystem
- Sales Collateral
- Product Photography Art Direction
- Lifestyle Photography Guidelines
- Brand Bible
“Retail Voodoo brought data and open insight to help Loma Linda discover the best methods to turn our product messaging into reality.”
– Douglas Hines, CEO, ATF Holdings